Thursday, March 30, 2017

Breakfast Lasagna {Low-Carb, Diabetic-Friendly!}


Do me a favor: make this Breakfast Lasagna!

Actually, it would be doing you a favor. I'm doing you a favor by sharing this recipe. 

Just trust me on this. It is AMAZING! My mouth can water at the mere thought of it. Just looking at that picture above, knowing what it tasted like when I made it... ugh. I would just love to make it every week. Too bad Jim likes variety. I could literally live on this stuff. 

As you may (or may not) know, Jim is a type 1 diabetic. He was diagnosed 1 month after we started dating. We like to joke that I brought too much sweetness into his life ;)

When he first came home to break the news to me, I took it well. My dad, grandpa, and numerous others had type 2 diabetes - how bad can it be?

Well, it's actually a very scary disease. It's a touchy thing to manage. Not a day goes by when I don't think about the effects it has or could have on Jim's body. 

He manages it as best he can. He is always trying to manage it better, though. And I want to help him by making low-carb dinners whenever I can. When he got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I got diagnosed with it, too, because whatever he faces, I will face with him. I tell him often that I wish I could just take half the burden off him, so he doesn't have to worry so much about his health. I even wish I could take the whole burden, just because I know I would be a bit more mindful with this disease. 

But, bright side, everything is okay. He's alive, I'm alive, he's healthy, and the doctor likes the way Jim is progressing. It's not the worse disease in the world, so we can do this. And I want to help in anyway I possibly can, so I've been steering our supper boat towards more "diabetic-friendly" meals. Thank the good Lord for Pinterest! So, I cannot help but share this AMAZING recipe! Yes, it's a breakfast dish, but I made it for supper. Who doesn't like breakfast for supper? 

It's truly one of the best recipes in my collection. The gravy soaked eggs... the tender ham slices... the creamy pork gravy... topped with a perfect amount of cheese... it's divine!
 

Breakfast Lasagna

For the eggs...
18 Eggs
a pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper

For the gravy...
1 pound ground pork
16 ounces neufchatel cheese (or cream cheese, whichever you prefer!)
1.5 cups beef broth
a pinch of pepper

For the lasagna...
24 slices deli ham
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat that oven to 325.
2. In a skillet, scramble your eggs with a bit of salt & pepper.
3. Remove eggs from pan & set aside.
4. In the skillet, brown your sausage. 
5. Once the sausage is cooked through, add the neufchatel cheese (or cream cheese) to the skillet. Add the beef broth & stir constantly until the mix comes together smoothly. Turn the heat down, still stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Top with some pepper.
6. Turn stove off. (Stove, not oven! hehe)
7. Grease a 9x13 glass pan.
8. Pour a thin layer of the pork gravy mix in the bottom. (You'll need 4 gravy layers.)
9. Add a layer of ham on top of the gravy. Use 8 slices.
10. On top of the ham, add a layer of scrambled eggs. (You'll need 2 layers of eggs.)
11. Add a gravy layer on top of the eggs.
12. Add a layer of the shredded mozzarella. (You'll need 3 layers of cheese.)
13. Repeat a layer: ham, eggs, gravy, cheese.
14. Add the final layer of ham and top with the remaining shredded cheese. 
15. Bake for 30-40 minutes & devour! It tastes great the day after, too!


Man, writing this post made me wish I had some of this in the oven right now... but I must practice restraint! Goulash is in the books for tonight, which is another great meal. But it won't be long until I'm savoring this dish once again. Wow your friends, your family, or just yourself with this recipe!

Questions for you:
1. Which do you prefer: neufchtel cheese or regular cream cheese?
2. While we're on the breakfast topic... pancakes or french toast?
 
Love,
Ash
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment