Friday, February 10, 2017

Reusable Dryer Sheets


Valentine's Day is coming up... and what better way to show your love for your loved ones, than to do their laundry & make their clothes static & chemical free, along with smelling perty? 

Sooo romantic, I know. 


But, hey, it works. And this is something to use all year 'round, ya'll!

There is a lot of buzz going around about whether or not to use dryer sheets. So many people say they are laden with chemicals, while there are sites that say otherwise. 

How about we just make our own to be safe?

I mean, why not make our own! They are so easy to make, & you know exactly what is going in to them. And, let's not forget the number ONE reason to make these: 

They save you money!

You can reuse them over & over & over, and not have to buy dryer sheets from the store over & over & over. 

Seriously, these are SO EASY to make.   

Reusable Dryer Sheets
3/4 cup vinegar, white
1/4 cup water
5 drops essential oil
1 mason jar with a lid
1 t-shirt

I grabbed an old t-shirt to use for this. I got this t-shirt after someone handed it to me in a bar. Strange, I know, but it was brand new & I ain't about to pass up free stuff. The shirt was an XL. I cut the shirt up into {roughly} 6x6" sheets. This made a lot of dryer sheets. I didn't count, but I'd say about 25. Thank you, bar stranger. I will remember you as long as I do laundry.

In the mason jar, I measured in the vinegar & the water. I then added about 5 drops of an essential oil. You can do any scent you like. I did lavender, cause it's my fave, but I will probably do lemongrass in the Spring. I gently swirled & shaked the jar so it all mixed well. 

Next, I stuffed the t-shirt sheets in the jar, one by one. By the end, I could NOT fit another sheet in there! It was packed to the brim. I screwed the lid on the jar & set it down, upside down, so all the sheets could soak in the solution. I left it like that for about an hour. 

After that, I was ready to use my first homemade dryer sheet! I just opened my jar, took one sheet, & tossed it in with my wet clothes in the dryer. After the cycle was done, I just found the dryer sheet in the mix of clothes & put it in a basket on the dryer to be used in the future. Once I use up all my wet dryer sheets, I will make the whole concoction over again with the sheets in the basket. Reusable, cheap, & easy! 

The vinegar helps control the static. It also helps soften the clothes. The essential oils help make the clothes smelly-good. You can {probably} add more than 5 drops, but I wouldn't overdo it. 

Just think: in the new year, you can use lavender scent to keep you calm. In the Spring, you can use lemon to awaken your senses, along with the Earth awakening from winter. In the summer, you could use grapefruit. In the fall, you could use cinnamon. At Christmastime, you could use peppermint. SO MANY OPTIONS.

  
And that's it! Reusable Homemade Dryer Sheets are now a laundry staple in our home. We weren't using any kind of softener or dryer sheet before this, & I missed the scent. Also, our clothes were a bit static-y & our towels not so soft. Not anymore! These sheets help with all those problems. And my pocketbook is happy! 

Laundry Love,
Ash   

No comments:

Post a Comment