Thursday, July 21, 2016

Zucchini Lasagna


Well hello there, world! 

Yes, I am still alive.

Summer is such a whirlwind of a season - it goes by so fast! There is something always going on. This past weekend, James, my mom, & I road-tripped it to Iola, Wisconsin for a family reunion. What an awesome little town that was. And seeing my extended family after so long was wonderful. They are a silly bunch of people, so James fit right in ;)

I'll do a quick trip post on Iola later.

Besides the reunion, we've been gardening every night. As of right now, we're at about 55 quarts of pickles already. We picked our first tomato yesterday, & James got the honor of eating it. He said it was "so good." We've been through a round of onions & radishes already, and are about to harvest the 2nd round. Yesterday, most of my carrots were pulled, so I can start using up those. Our dill is near ready (we've been using some from a co-worker!) but we didn't plant near enough. My corn stalks are finally standing straight, & the green beans are already getting picked here & there. The jalapenos are still working on themselves, and the green peppers/multi-colored peppers didn't make it. In their place, I squeezed in a few pumpkin plants and a few melon plants. Those are growing very well. 

One thing we did not plant was zucchini. I've never planted it before, & I didn't even think of it this year. We're still figuring out how to incorporate it more into our meals. We really like it in this Zucchini Lasagna. Even James likes this healthy meal. Someday, I hope to get the courage to make Zucchini Bread...


Zucchini Lasagna

You'll need:
2 zucchini
1lb ground beef
a full jar of pasta sauce, or a half jar, depending on if you add tomatoes
shredded mozzarella
oregano, basil, parsley, onion flakes, etc.

We did the half a jar of sauce with a small jar of homemade, diced tomatoes (from last years harvest). We were out of real onions, so we used dried onions instead. 

Brown your beef. Slice your zucchini in little coins. We did ours a little thick, so I recommend slicing them as thin as you can. Grease your baking dish. I used a 9x11. Layer the zucchini coins at the bottom. Cover the coins with a layer of sauce/tomatoes/other veggies you want to add. Top that layer with your beef (or turkey). Finish off the set with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Do another set of layers: zucchini, sauce/tomatoes, meat, & cheese. Add your seasonings throughout, wherever you think works best. (I added my seasoings on the sauce layer.) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 



Does it seem like I cook too much for just 2 people? Well, it's because I make enough for me to bring to work with me the next day. Also, James eats big servings. 

We love having this dish when zucchini is ready in the summer. We first tried this last summer, & I was excited to try it again this season. We will be enjoying this at least once more before summer ends & zucchini season fades away. Next year, I might even have a zucchini plant in my garden! 

We're gonna need more land...


Zucchini love,
Ash 

No comments:

Post a Comment