Monday, July 11, 2016

Porcupine Skillet



Wow!

With the 4th of July holiday in the air, I should have known I would be busy - and I was! I help run a Silent Auction for the private school I went to growing up. Now, when I say "private school," I mean "Christian-country-school-way-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-with-less-than-45-kids-when-I-went-there."
Sadly, the school only has about 10 students, total, right now but our 4th of July celebration is still a huge, major success. We have thousands of people come - we even had some people from New Zealand! 
It's a very old-fashioned celebration, with a parade, pie, burgers, homemade rides & games, music all day, & more. It's the oldest 4th of July Celebration in Minnesota! We celebrate 125 years next year, & it's going to be a huge celebration. We are all super excited! (See what I am talking about here & here.)  

So when Independence Day is looming around the corner, I fall into Silent-Auction-Mode & don't come out until about a week after it's all said & done. And I am so happy to say that we had a record year this year!  But I also am pooped. And it's about time to start thinking about next years Auction! Whoo!

All this work makes me a hungry girl, so here is my recipe for Porcupines-in-a-Skillet

You'll need:
1lb ground beef
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1.5 cups hot water
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1 (16oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 small can mushrooms (optional)

This recipe is super easy & I make it quite often. I shared the recipe with a friend & she makes it for her farming crew, as it is very filling & easy to make. Plus, you can make a lot of it without breaking the bank. 

Brown your beef. Stir in onion soup mix, tomatoes, water, & the optional mushrooms. Add the rice & mix well. Cover & cook on low heat for 25 minutes. Top the dish with cheese & serve. 



I love easy recipes & this is just that. I make this at least once a month. It's super yummy, filling, cheap, & again - easy! You could even add more veggies if you wish. I typically serve this with a side of french green beans. 



Not gonna lie, my mouth is watering. I want to make this again! And the leftovers the next day... too good. Just, too good. 


I have so much to catch up on. I am just glad to be back writing! This is a nice break from all the yard work, house cleaning, auction work, school work, cabin-vacationing, & crafting I've been up to! 

The cabin trip was exactly what I needed. Not even a day after we got back, 2 of us planned out the next trip in August with our fellas. I am pumped for that! We had such a good time in the outdoors. I'll do a post about that trip soon! In the meantime, here's a photo!

Hahahahaha!
 Happy Independence,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment