Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Strawberry Crumble Bars


I have a problem.

I can't seem to go to a store & just buy "one" of something in the fruit/veggie isle. Especially, when things are on sale. 

So when I seen strawberries for $1.29, you can say I went a little overboard. 

I mean, James & I can eat our fair share of strawberries, don't get me wrong, but I overdid it. So I headed to Pinterest to figure out how to use up some strawberries for a dessert. 

**Plot twist!** I have no milk on hand, either. 

We live out in the country, about 15 minutes from the nearest store, & I am not one to make a trip for just one or two things. Gas costs money. Hello, penny-pincher!

After looking through several recipes I found this one from The Baker Upstairs. Here's how I made it:

Strawberry Crumble Bars
Makes 9 bars
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1.5 cups flour
  • 3/4ths of 1 stick of cold butter, cut into pea-sized pieces
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled & chopped
  • 1/4 cup sugar (for topping)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch (for topping)
  1. Preheat your oven to 375. 
  2. Grease a 8x8 pan & set aside. 
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and flour. Toss the chopped butter pieces in, and "cut" them into the mix by stabbing at them with a wooden spoon while mixing, like I did. Culinary genius, right here.
  4. Mix in the egg. You'll end up with a crumbly dough mixture once it's blended.
  5. Scoop out half of the dough mix with your bare hands & press it into the bottom of the 8x8 pan.
  6. Grab a second, small/medium sized bowl to toss the strawberries with the 1/4 cup sugar and corn starch in.
  7. Spread this strawberry mixture over the dough-y crust.
  8. Using your bare hands again (they're my favorite kitchen tool!), crumble the rest of the dough over the strawberry layer. You don't need to press this or have it completely covering the strawberry layer. Just crumble the mixture in your hands over the pan & sprinkle over the top.
  9. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow it to cool some before cutting into it.
  10. Enjoy!




These turned out wonderfully. They were just what I wanted when I thought of something to make to use up my strawberries. With no milk needed, I might add.

On the Farm side of things, I am learning more & more all the time about our new place. We have peony bushes scattered throughout! They are just gorgeous. This one is at the end of our driveway, ready to greet us:




So fragrant & so beautiful! 

In Kitty news, I think Una is a boy. I always mess this up with baby kittens. I'm a born & raised farm girl. I should know this stuff by now. But it never fails. I always guess the wrong gender. Even James is stumped. The man who "knows everything." So right now, we're just calling it "Kitten." If it truly is a girl, the name will stay "Una." If it's a boy, I'm thinking "Tyke" cause he's a little tyke. You know, like the tricycle, but spelled differently. Cause I'm a creative wizard.

Either way, we love this playful little kitten.

Can I get a collective "Awwwwwwwwwww!" right about now? Seriously. Friggin' cute.

On a serious note, my heart is with the victims & their families of the Orlando Shooting Massacre. I pray the Lord comforts the families of those who perished, I pray for healing - both physically & mentally - for those injured in the tragedy, & I pray for peace for this world. I pray for love to overcome hate, I pray for respect to overcome disdain, & I pray for joy to overcome fear. This world needs to come together as HUMANS & not separate because there's a body of water between us, or a state line, or a wall, or beliefs, or skin color. We are all Children of God, brothers & sisters in Christ, one family. 

I know, as Christians, we hesitate when it comes to homosexuals. But we need to love them anyway. God has it all taken care of for us. He will judge each person however He pleases. It's not our business to kill His created people. It's not our job to spread hate. It's our job to spread LOVE. Spread His word, & allow the rest to fall into place as it will. Pray for our enemies - yes, pray for terror groups. Pray for peace. Pray for love. Pray for acceptance & togetherness.

Clearly stated in Philippians 4:6-7, "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus," we need not worry! Allow Him to take care of everything in our lives. Allow Him to bless us & protect us. One day, we get the reward of being in His paradise forever. Lets thank Him for everything He gives us each day: breath, life, senses, organs, limbs, health, personality, green grass, bright skies, sun for warmth, rain for growth, ocean, land, trees, flowers, friends, family, our job, our home, our spirit, our determination, our minds, our hearts. 

Put more God in your life. With every decision you face, every hardship that comes your way, every moment of joy... pray, & allow God to handle things. Trust Him. He's got this.

Love, love, love,
Ash 

Follow me on Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment