Thursday, June 23, 2016

Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros


I have found my favorite recipe.

And this is it. 

It's gotta be the Greek in me.

Even though, I have no Greek in my heritage. But I have Greek tastebuds! 

Is that possible? No? Well, it is now.

What can be better than juicy chicken gyros, topped with tomatoes & tzatziki?

Nothing, I tell you. Nothing. 

(Okay, my mom's Church Potatoes are right up there, too, but that's another post.)

But these are pretty healthy, quite easy to make, & SUPER easy to consume. I had to hold myself back. James was lucky he came home when he did, or I would have ate the entire batch.

Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros
4 medium-large chicken breasts
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 diced white onion
1 tbls olive oil
2 tbls white wine vinegar
1 tbls oregano
1 tbls lemon pepper

Tzatziki
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 cloves minced garlic 
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
2 tbls parsley


Put the chicken in the slow cooker. Mix remaining Gyro ingredients in a bowl & pour over chicken breasts. Cook on low for 8 hours. 
After 7 hours, mix all tzatziki ingredients in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate for the last hour of cooking time. 
After 8 hours, shred chicken. Serve in tortilla rolls or pita pockets. Top the chicken with tomatoes & the tzatziki. Devour.  

I served these with Simply Nature's Organic Macaroni & Cheese. 


I mean, these gyros are gold in your mouth. Heaven, if heaven were a food. That tzatziki sauce though... I first tried tzatziki sauce in Costa Rica. I had no idea what the heck it was, but after one bite, I was in love. I even ordered another bowl while I was at the restaurant, and returned the next night for more. It was that good. And it's so easy to make! It's just... so good.  


 
Try this ASAP so it can "wow" you, too! I cannot wait to make this again. Next time will be with home-grown cukes, as they are thriving right now! And the tomatoes, too! 

 To finish this post, here's a picture of Islo & Una. (Yes, Una, as it IS a girl.) At first, they did not get along. Islo is very territorial of his home. He is just a moody, particular fella. (And yes, he was Isla for the longest time, until I realized he was a boy. I really suck at cat genders.) (Islo is short for Islamorada, which was our favorite stop on our Key West trip.) Now-a-days, these two are so playful together & even nap together. My heart smiles when I see these two ♥

Sorry for the quick post, but I'm off for the cabin up north with the girls! It's time for a much-needed, relaxing weekend. I am going to miss my pets more than a human should miss mammals, but I cannot wait for another cabin trip experience. 

Have a good weekend!
Ash 

No comments:

Post a Comment