Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Pumpkin Pie Bars


You know me. I'm always up for pumpkin-flavored things, even in the middle of May. 

And when I get a craving for pumpkin, it doesn't just easily go away.

Enter, Pumpkin Pie Bars

You'll need:
1/2 stick of butter
1 can pumpkin puree
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
a dash of salt
1/4 cup milk, with a dash of vinegar mixed in
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
whipped cream

I used an 8x8 pan for this, so it made 9 squares. I adapted this recipe from my favorite redhead, Ree Drummond. 

(I just finished her book From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels & it was sooooooooooooooo good! Such a lovely love story.)

  • Preheat your oven to 375. Spray your pan with cooking spray. (I use the olive oil spray from Aldi.)
  • In a pot, melt the butter on the stove. Whisk in your can of pumpkin & the pumpkin pie spice until it's mixed well. Keep whisking and add in your boiling water. Whisk until this is smooth & creamy. (Whisk, whisk, whisk!)
  • In a large bowl, add your milk/vinegar mixture, egg, baking soda, & vanilla. Mix these ingredients together.
  • Mix in your flour, sugar, & salt with the wet ingredients. Add in your pumpkin mixture & whisk until blended. 
  • Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven. You'll know the bars are done when you stick a toothpick in the middle & it comes out pretty clean. 
  • Remove from oven & allow it to cool thoroughly before topping it with whipped cream. (Unlike me, who just could not wait to take some pictures & eat this stuff.)






These bars were thick. Thicker than the pumpkin pie I'm used to, & not cake-y like Ree's recipe, but they were so yummy!! James isn't the biggest fan of pumpkin so, over the course of a week, I ate the whole pan. I just kept the pan in the fridge & ate a piece every night. I actually looked forward to coming home & rewarding myself with this dessert. 

Pumpkin craving solved.

Warm wishes,
Ash 

No comments:

Post a Comment