Thursday, June 30, 2016

Homemade Coconut Oil Toothpaste


*Make sure to read my updates below, too.

My goal is to look at all the things I use in my home & try & eliminate harsh chemicals by making homemade versions of the products. This usually comes about when I run out of something & need more. I think to myself "Instead of going out to buy another one of these, maybe I should look into making my own?" 
Which is exactly what happened with my toothpaste. We were about out & it had been lingering in the back of my mind to look into making my own soon. Then one night, during a storm/power outage, I decided "what better time than now to mix up that toothpaste recipe?" So, on a dark, candle-lit night, I made my first jar of 

Homemade Toothpaste.
Dollop your coconut oil into your bowl or jar. Using a spoon, stir the coconut oil until it looks whipped. Add in your baking soda & mix in well. Add the peppermint soap & oil &, again, mix well. Store in a jar with a lid.


I store mine in a small mason jelly jar with the lid screwed on. I just keep it in my medicine cabinet in the bathroom. When it's time to use it, I scoop out some onto my tooth brush, get the brush wet under faucet water, & brush like normal! 



The first time I used it, I expected it to be different, but it was actually really nice! I don't miss conventional toothpaste at all. I've been using this for about a month now, & my teeth have never felt cleaner. I cannot describe how clean my teeth feel after each brushing session. My friend, Katie, tried this while we were up north & she was shocked at how squeaky clean her teeth felt. 

I have a "football" tooth. Yep, you read that correctly: a football tooth. When I was younger, I was playing football & got my tooth hit by someone's knee. 

Actually, it was my knee, but let's not get into the details. 

I had to be taken to the dentist immediately & since then, one tooth is a bit darker than the rest. Everyone says it isn't even noticeable. The dentist says it's completely dead & I should get a root canal someday, but I'm avoiding that for now. 

Anyways, I was scared that if I went away from my whitening toothpaste, that this tooth would go dark. So far, nothing has changed! If anything, my teeth are looking whiter (& definitely, cleaner) than ever before. I will never go back to conventional toothpaste. 

Coconuts & Kettlebell's Noelle (where I got the recipe!) explains why conventional toothpaste needs the boot: "Conventional toothpastes contain a whole bunch of added unnecessary ingredients, many which should not be going into your mouth. The most unfortunate of these include sodium lauryl sulphate, a known skin irritant, triclosan, which is linked to cancer and endocrine disruption, and fluoride, which is also linked to cancer and thyroid dysfunction.[2][3][4][5] Many other common ingredients, including propylene glycol, artificial colors, and certain un-pronounceable substances are synthetic compounds that are not natural, and shouldn’t be in the human body."

Say no more! 

(But she does say a lot more, so check out her site for more info!) 

I'm always up for trying new-to-me, healthy alternatives to chemical-ridden products in my home, so this was exciting & I am happy to say I'm very pleased with this toothpaste. I encourage you to make some & try it!



*7/21/16 Update: I am almost done with my first jar of this homemade coconut oil toothpaste & I gotta say... I LOVE it! My teeth are clean - like cleaner than ever before. And they are white! I was so worried my teeth would not be as white as they are with conventional toothpaste, but I can proudly say they are whiter now! I'm going to the dentist at the end of August for a check-up, so we shall see what the doc thinks of my toothpaste preferences. She better be ready - I'm coming with loads of information on all the benefits! Stay tuned for that update. 

**8/25/16 Update: Well, I went to the dentist today. I have a cavity & several more starting. I was crushed. I didn't even go in there telling my dentist what I have been using. I said nothing until she checked me out. She told me about all the issues & asked me what I did different. At that point, I told her I was using a natural toothpaste. She went on to explain that I need a toothpaste with fluoride. She could probably see the hesitation on my face, & explained that, yes, fluoride has a bad reputation, but it is something that you simply brush your teeth with & spit out. Yes, it penetrates the teeth to make them stronger, but we need it to prevent our teeth from decay. I was devastated. She even said I need a prescription toothpaste just to provide that stronger fluoride percentage. I also went to the store after & bought an anti-cavity mouthwash. I'll be honest, I am very upset about this. I loved the coconut toothpaste, simply because my teeth felt so clean & looked so white. So I have been wallowing, watching Gilmore Girls & Bachelor in Paradise. 
I plan to use the prescription toothpaste before bed. In the morning, use the coconut toothpaste, & brush again right after with a regular paste. I'm super bummed. I was hoping the dentist would be like "Whoa, your teeth are great! What are you using?!" But I got the opposite & now have a filling appointment next week. Wish me luck :(
 

Squeaky Clean Love,
Ash

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete