Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Homemade Coconut Oil Dog Treats


Jack means a great deal to me. He is a very special dog. Now, I'm sure most dog-owners feel that way about their pooch, but I just can't express it enough. He is a wonderful dog - he's happy all the time, energetic when it comes to playing, sleepy when it comes to bed time, cuddly whenever I wish to cuddle, listens to commands pretty well, kayaks with me, bikes with me (him in the buggy, me on the bike, haha), walks with me, runs with me, plays fetch, & just brightens my day. When I get home from work, there is nothing like seeing his excited, happy face. There is nothing like a dogs love ♥




As Spring fades & the Summer heat sinks in, Jack has been itching more. He has had fleas before, so I knew what to check for on that, & this was NOT fleas. We think it's either from being in the lake or allergies. Now I sound like a crazy dog lady but, after a few Pinterest searches, it is common for dogs to have "allergies" when the seasons change, which causes them to itch a lot. One search said to try making these coconut oil treats. I figured "even if these don't help with his itching, I am out of dog treats & I want to make him homemade ones!"

Homemade Coconut Oil Dog Treats
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup honey (I maybe used a little less)
  • 2 tbls coconut oil
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup oats
  • 2 cups flour
  • lots & lots of love ♥
Preheat your oven to 350. Whisk together your peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, & chicken broth in a bowl. (Hello, arm workout!) Toss in your flour & oats & combine well with the wet ingredients. Flour your counter top (to prevent the dough from sticking to the counter) & press out the dough until it's about 1/4 inch thick. 


Use a cookie cutter or the top of a bottle (like I did) to press out shapes in the dough. These little circles were the perfect size for Jack's treats! I actually used my smoothie bottle ;)


Take the treats & place them on a parchment baking sheet. Use up that dough! Ball up the scraps & re-press it out & continue cutting shapes until the dough is all gone. 


This made this whole cookie sheet and half of another. Bake for 14 minutes at 350. Allow to cool when they are done, then transfer to a jar or baggie! Store in your fridge.


After I let them cool, I immediately let Jack try them. He LOVES them! 


 "Yes, please mama, I want it! Look, I'm sitting so good. Let me have it!"




"Look, mama, I'm laying down. Please give me another. I am S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G! Want me to roll over for you? Cause I will..."
He is such a hoot. I think I gave him about 10 that night, & he looks for one every time I put him away or ask him to do a trick. He loves his little healthy treats. And yes, his itching has subsided a bit. I am going to make him a homemade oatmeal bath soap soon, too, to aid in the itching relief. All in all, these treats were a win! And if any dog deserves a good, wholesome, homemade, healthy dog treat, it's my baby Jack. But I may be biased. 
Winter 2014
Winter 2014
 Puppy love,
Ash

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe! I am adopting a dog in two days so I am looking forward to treat her with these wonderful cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. Hope all is going well with the new pup! It is amazing when we can take in & care for an animal in need of a loving home, so good on you! ♥

      Delete
  2. Dog treats keep best in the fridge up to 6 weeks. They can also be frozen and pulled out as needed for up to 8 months.

    ReplyDelete