Monday, January 4, 2016

Tilapia & Peppers Hotdish


As I walk down this healthier path in life, I find myself incorporating fish more & more into our menu. It's low calorie, full of protein, & so very good for you. I wanted to spice things up a bit, as usually we just have fish fillets made on the pan. This recipe rolled past me on Pinterest, & it looked tasty. A new fish recipe? Sure! 

Peppers have also been another item I've been getting more in to. I never really had a taste for them before my fitness journey started, but now I find myself craving them sometimes. And they make a dish look so much more colorful! 

I made this recipe a little different than Natasha, from Natasha's Kitchen. When I started making this recipe, I intended to follow her pretty closely, but I went on a whim &, instead of keeping the fillets whole, I chopped them up with my spatula. When I cook fish, I like to make sure they are done, maybe even over-done, and by chopping the fillets, it cooks each little piece evenly.

Ingredients:

Tilapia:
2lbs Tilapia
Olive Oil to Saute
Spices of your choice

Marinade:
2 Eggs
1 cup Milk
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
Salt & Pepper

Veggies:
2 Bell Peppers (Yellow, Red, or Orange)
12 Slices or so of Banana Peppers
2 Large Carrots, peeled & chopped
1 Medium Onion

1. Whisk all the marinade ingredients together. 
2. Put tilapia in a zip-lock bag, and pour the marinade over the fish.
3. Seal the bag, shake, & pop in the fridge while you prepare the rest. (The longer you marinade, the better the flavor. But let's be real, we only have so much time.)
4. Chop that onion, chop them peppers, and peel & chop those carrots. 
5. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes or so. Add the peppers & carrots to the pan, and saute all 3 ingredients for 5 minutes. 
6. Remove veggies from pan & set aside. Like, on your cutting board you used.
7. Add some more oil to the pan. Grab those fillets of tilapia & add them to the pan. Use your spatula to break up the fish like you would to ground beef. Heat these until they are cooked. 
8. Put half of the pepper mix in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top that layer with all of your tilapia. At this point, I sprinkled the fish with a bit of garlic salt & some lemon pepper. 
9. Top the fish with the other half of your veggies. Top those veggies with some banana peppers. 
10. Bake at 375* for 20 minutes. 

I served this hotdish with pineapple chunks & Aldi's Live G Free Gluten Free Rice Pasta & Cheddar. We seen it at the store & wanted to see what "rice pasta" tasted like.  We were skeptical, but it was actually very good!

Tilapia & Peppers Hotdish makes about 6 servings. I calculated each serving to be about 200 calories. 

And to wrap up this post, here's a selfie of me with my work-appropriate PURPLE & GOLD PRIDE, as the Vikings beat the Packers yesterday & are now DIVISION CHAMPS! 
Dang streak in the mirror... ruining my victory picture.
  Warm wishes, 
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment